Old 03-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjitsu View Post
Thank you Brent, Steve and Treeve. This is the sort of advice and input I was hoping for. Great information on what to look out for that I can use to help identify potential problem cars.
I really appreciate your time responding to these questions.
Definitely will catch one of the next club meetings.
Hi Cameron,

Another area that seems a very common issue, and safety consideration, is the brakes. You’ll find many posts on brake issues on this site, and the current one going entitled ‘Very hard brake pedal marginal stopping’ started by Dennis Mosley. That posts seems a good summary of the common issues at play with Cobra braking systems.

Does it stop confidently, with reasonable leg pressure, have a reasonable pedal ratio, masters sized properly front to rear with proper balance. My understanding is if the rears lock up ahead of the front it can tend to cause spinouts, a simplified comment, but ‘in general’.

It seems more issues when the front and rear brakes are different type, design, and install year, if not planned and/or dialed in properly together. Such as Wilwood fronts and original jag rears (like me and many others have), again, at least if not planned/tuned to work well together accordingly.

Who built it, and how they went about it, probably most directly impacts the bell curve on the brakes, and throughout.

Brent