View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 396 Windsor Stroker (Formerly: Unique 427 powered by a 351W with mysterious innards)
Not Ranked     

OK, I realize that I'm just a tad late with this (13 years or so) but I found a simple workaround for removing the square head drain plug. I replaced my diff fluid today and needed to pull the drain plug. I read this thread first and was aware of the issue with the square headed plug. Not having any 4 or 8 point sockets, I poked around in my drawer of half in drive sockets and discovered that you place a 19/32nds socket backwards on a 4' extension. This leaves you with a 1/2 inch drive square hole on either end. I clipped a long ratchet into one end and stuck the other on the square headed plug, which came out easily.

The trick is having the 19/32 socket. Hell, I had three in my little drawer of sockets. I can't find a full set of any normal sizes, but I had 3 of the crappy ones. BTW - I used the Moroso climbing gear lube and 2 bottles of GM additive, and a short test drive (5 miles) showed no clunking in the rear end. Fingers crossed...

Ron