Thread: Broken A-Arm
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Your fixation with specifics is what is the problem - no one but you was taking it so specifically. For example ‘in which area was the failure?’ ‘The failure was in the area around the shock connection’. But I didn’t specifically mention cross section areas but a generic term of ‘areas’. The post defined the simple support and moment as well as the causes of these in what is effectively a cantilever setup.
Whilst the internet is a conduit for communication you seem to be going out of your way to use it as a conduit for arguing and for trying to make yourself seem superior by using lots of long words that layman’s terms don’t include. As I’m sure you realise, the majority of persons on this forum are in the category ‘not engineers’, so we should at least try to explain things in ways they understand.
Your constant concerns about my use of the word ‘by’ to define the (locational) areas of the failure and the forces applied mean that I have edited the post. And by locational I mean ‘I live in an area near a school and a hospital’. No mention of specifics, but people will know straight away that there is a hospital and school near my house with no need to define cross sections or specific definitions. As you wrote - my description was minimally misleading, and seemingly specifically mislead by you in your understanding. My description of the forces however was correct. Your interpretation of my description of the area was just as incorrectly interpreted by you by me.
Thanks for communicating and note that 80% of communication is by body language - something unavailable to written word. This is also not fully paid for technical advice whereby more time and effort will be put in to offering engineering advice to ensure a proper understanding. So whilst I may be an engineer employed in the automotive field specifically around home built vehicles in Australia, I’m also just a dude who enjoys building cars and being on forums trying to help people out along the way. And not getting paid for it so it doesn’t need to be perfect. In fact, my insurance doesn’t cover professional advice given on forums which is why I never treat it as such.
Treeve