View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

I would say that given the number of guys I’ve met with no previous skill set that it is do-able if you have a network of friends with skills, tools and a willingness to provide both. You also need to understand that some things will cost and many, many jobs will be done 5+ times in a build. Get used to putting the engine in, then taking it out again. Then doing it again. Do you have an engine crane? No? Well you can hire one. Great. Hiring one five times can be a pain in the arse, you’ll have to have used a trailer / ute to collect it and unload it and take it back each time, and the cost to hire 5 times would be what it cost to buy it in the first place. I justified buying one on the basis that it’s cheaper than physio for a disc injury. And you’d be surprised the uses you find for it after that.
But this is a fairly major tool with a pretty focussed use. You’ll be building a car. Do you have an engine stand? You might be able to leave the crate enginenin the crate, but what about in the other 4 times you take it out when it’s connected to a gearbox? Do you have acres of storage space for panels and parts? A parts washer? Will you only buy new or refurbish older parts? Can you rebuild brakes / put seal kits through them? Do you enjoy playing with 12V electrical stuff? I know I don’t, so it takes me forever - I persevere so that I can learn and so I can understand the pitfalls my customers face. Even stuff like ‘do you know where to buy good quality electrical connectors?’ Or do you plan on buying 20packs of spade connectors and scotch locks from Supercheap? (Please don’t ever use scotch locks on anything, they’re rubbish).
Only you know your skill set, desire to learn, ability to get things done and desire to do it yourself. Possibly contact manufacturers to see what their support is like.
In terms of two sides of the fence I was commenting on brands - some people are strongly supportive of a brand and some people are strongly counter to that brand, with seemingly little in between.
Treeve