View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another Craig Coombe Remedy

Some years ago a fella called me, said he had built a 42 gallon competition fuel tank that fit my Hi-Tech Cobra, and offered it for sale. I said great, and its been in my car since.

Overall the tank has been fine, yet the tank's fill neck was originally mis-located and angled incorrectly. I contacted the seller and provided him with the offset measurement. He fabricated a Z-shaped adapter that allowed the connection between the tank neck and the upper fill neck. It worked, but filling the car required cloth towels wrapped around the outside fill, correct positioning of the gas nozzle, a steady hand and a relatively slow fill. Frequently I was splashed with a little gasoline blow-back if I moved the nozzle a bit during the fill process as the escaping air was in conflict with the in-coming gas. The tank is vented on the opposite end.

Recently I asked Craig Coombe if he would modify the tank neck and the upper fuel filler neck so incoming gas had a straighter shot as it entered the tank. Several days ago he made the modification and I'm certain the prior gasoline fill issue has been eliminated.

The first photo shows the original Z-shaped adapter. What isn't visible is the original tank fill neck location. That old neck was cut off and the hole was patched with a weld-on plate. The old Z-adapter is photographed sitting on the new tank neck that Craig fabricated and properly located it on the tank. I have not shown the rubber hose that connects the two tubes, for clarity of the alloy pieces.

The second photo is of the upper fuel fill neck that Craig also modified, and is stacked on the new tank neck. The resulting matched components provide a proper angle for fueling. Thanks Craig for meeting my need.

David
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by HTM101; 04-15-2018 at 11:02 AM..