View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Having space to build it is paramount, a tight space means you will spend half your time pulling stuff out and putting it away.

A lack of patience also will be detrimental to building a car.

If you already had the garage space (sadly sounds like you don't) I would suggest buying a kit and having a crack, if it all goes pair shaped, you may decide to pay someone to do the job for you (this would negate the savings made by doing it yourself, but the hours spent building the car can be put into another job to cover the cost)
I will be relocating to SA (Mount Gambier region) in mid/late September, I will be offering services to build kit cars (not trying to drum up business but letting you know), I have built my own Cobra and I have also built an award winning other make brand car, I consider my skill set to be more than high enough to build a car, but sadly I cant do anything when it comes to IT tech stuff.
We all have skills in different areas.

Easiest kit to build I think most would agree is PACE, I have no current feedback but parts supply in a timely manor was an issue they had (but I am talking more than 12 months ago now), that may have been addressed.

I am seriously contemplating buying a PACE kit to assemble and sell once I do relocate, just to see how easy/hard they are to do.

A kit such as a CR one will require a little more lateral thinking and parts hunting than a PACE, (I personally love my CR so I am biased), but the company has a new owner and my understanding is that the quality is improving, that may include the quality of build manual.

A big determining factor will be rego, Currently in SA although there is a club permit scheme, the authorities will not recognize a replica car as the year its intended to look (ie Cobra is mid 60's, but compliance/build date would be the year you build it).
Club rego has a rolling 30 year cut off date, word is people are trying to have replica's included, but as of right now it isn't.

Its a lot to think about, but research and planning will go a long way to help you decide if you are capable (at the end of the day none of us know your skill set, so only you can determine if you can do it).

Spend the time to really study and think.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.