View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Flowmaster Slimline mufflers are 3.5" ID, and FM claims the combined surface area of the holes in the cones is greater than the cross-sectional area of the ID. I realize there's some restriction in forcing the exhaust through a bunch of little holes, but I fail to understand how they still won't flow at least as much as a 2.5" ID pipe with louvers or holes - especially when the cross-sectional area of a 3.5" circle is nearly double that of a 2.5" circle.

Please explain.
All I can tell you is that we use a higher average percentage of throttle with the flow masters than we did with the steel packed 2 1/2 inch ID pipes. I suspect that flow may be disrupted more by the multiple holes not parallel to direction of flow despite the greater surface area. We have logs from every run with the new EFI and can see average throttle opening is greater with flow masters.
I guess the only way to really test this would be on a chassis dyno but the data and pure "seat of the pants" says we are down on power. This car can blow a pylon down with the 2.5" ID steel packs it can't with the Flowmasters
so I am guessing exhaust volume/velocity is reduced which will kill power .