View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Toploader Re-seal/build

Needed a new project so decided to go through my leaky toploader and re-seal it and re-build it as necessary. I loosened up the transmission and jacked the car up and put a moving dolly under the bellhousing to lift the back of the engine and transmission up for clearance.

Removed the transmission to BH bolts, inserted lengths of all-thread and then slid the transmission back and on to the floor.

Then put my 67 year old back to work and lifted the iron lump out thru the door. I wish Ford had copied GM and used an aluminum case.

This is one of the leak issues (cover vent) that I would like to find a better solution to. All that lube sitting on top of the gasket is just a cover leak that almost no amount of RTV cans stop. Muncie's don't have a vent that I can recall so I wonder if this thing really needs a functional one?

I've rebuilt a Muncie and a Mopar Torqueflite so feel pretty OK about tackling this one.