View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Ready to start back together after the last of my parts arrived.

I installed a breather vent in the tail housing so I can close the one off in the cover.

I bought a new cover from David Kee that doesn't have the vent drilled (and the cover is straight as compared to my old one.

I did a little polishing of the detent reliefs in the shafts just to clean them up. They are apparently machined pretty rough on the original shafts so I guess a high degree of smoothness is not an absolute necessity.

Sticking with my current gears and input on the advice of the transmission parts guy I use - Larry at D and L Transmissions. I am replacing the shift forks due to wear - he had some NOS ones. I'm also replacing the synchronizer hub assemblies - these are not NOS but they are the Tork-Lock design type which helps prevent gear kick out.

And as a precaution I ordered new detent springs from David Kee which are a little longer than the ones in my transmission. Wire size and coil spacing seems pretty consistent so I suspect they will stiffen up the detent action a bit. Also ordered a new detent pin for the 3/4 position to replace the single, slightly short hatchet head detent pin in my transmission. Not sure but the short spring and short hatchet head detent pin may have, along with the heavy rubber boot on the shifter originally, contributed to the few 3rd gear kick outs I had. The new spring is the shiny one on the left.

As soon as I get caught up on yard work I'm going to start putting it back together.