View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Wow, time flies and it has been almost 12 months.
Well I cant remember if I mentioned this car previously so here goes.
When I first moved to Alice, I heard stories of a Genuine Valiant Pacer Hardtop having been left out in the bush.
For a long time I chased the lead and always came up short.
Then about 7 or so years ago, an article appeared in Australian Muscle car magazine, it spoke of a Pacer out bush and had a picture attached.
[IMG][/IMG]

So I contacted the magazine asking them to forward my details to the photographer, many months later I got a call from a mate who said the picture was his, he gave me a mud map and advised which cattle station it was on, I spent the next 6-8 months ringing the station till I finally got a person, spoke with station owner and permission was given to check it out, and if wanted I could take it away.

So I organised to go and check it out, realised i wanted to bring it back and organised a second trip with some heavy duty recovery gear.
[IMG][/IMG]

After getting the car home it was a case of deciding what to do.
First thought was to re shell the car, if I did that then I thought I may as well slice the car and make a wall ornament from it.
I then started chasing "Patina'd" bits to make it look half decent.
Well then I saw some of the crazy cars at Red Centre Nats and thought "Why not get it driving and get a permit.
So that's what got me to where I am today.
The bits I had been collecting are now all going to be fitted to this shell and get her driving.
The car was moved into my shed on ANZAC day and the donor was also moved in.
I finally made a start late yesterday (public holiday in the NT)
Following pics give an idea of what I am playing with.

Here we see original bonnet & a couple of doors I sourced.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here we have correct numbers 1971 Pacer manual engine and gearbox.
[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see, it has been in my yard a while, damn tree started to grow.
[IMG][/IMG]

Donor in its death bed.
[IMG][/IMG]

First time in a long time it has been under a roof.
[IMG][/IMG]

Correct Pacer cluster, Hub Caps, Steering wheel and column.
[IMG][/IMG]

They spent a couple of nights side by side while I did some work on a friends car, I also used this chance to turn the car around on the hoist.
[IMG][/IMG]

Left side genuine Pacer guard, I painted some standard eyebrows and blinker lenses to make them Pacer (flat black)
[IMG][/IMG]

Same deal on right side, but a non Pacer guard.
[IMG][/IMG]

Front stone tray in place.
[IMG][/IMG]

I am hoping work progresses steadily for the next few months, I do have a stalled Charger Project I am supposed to be doing before I leave Alice, but my paint and body man pulled out on me, currently seeing if I can find another.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.