View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAStuart View Post
Thanks Dan for all of your replies. About the small flats you said they milled. Any chance you have a picture of them?
I don't have any pictures but I included them in my drawings. We believe they provided a firm interface for clamping the assembly into some type fixture. AC Cars used many jigs and fixtures for weldment subassemblies.

I our repairs were did some test welds and determined how much shrinkage occurred during cooling. We then made the "hard points where they needed to be so that a cold final weldment was almost exactly nominal. It worked really well. We built the front half of a chassis in that manner and it worked very well also.

No, we didn't keep our calculations and I gave our 8ft wide 16 ft long thick steel jig table away and a man used it as a bridge over a wet weather creek crossing his driveway. (It was in the way everywhere and it took a small crane to lift it for moving.) The rest of the main chassis tooling went to the steel scrap yard. Over the decades all the subassembly fixtures but one got borrowed by somebody repairing an original car and never found their way back home.