View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
I am about to do the same re build on a 28 spline toploader. Just bought the David McKee kit, and a second and third gear as the engagement teeth are somewhat worn, like yours. If Im into it that far I'm replacing anything that might be a problem.
On Toploaders reproduction parts seems to be the quandary. It's not like the situation for GM Muncie transmission. For Muncies, there are Italian-made gear sets and parts that are absolutely beautiful and better than the originals. I did my 427 Corvette transmission last year and bought a new Autogear case and complete M-22 gear set and reassembled an amazing, high quality transmission - far superior and stronger than the originals. The only original parts I re-used was the main shaft, the tail housing and the side plate. But they even make HD Autogear side plates (with ball bearing shifter forks) and tail housings if so inclined. Ford guys should have it so good.

For Toploaders from what I can find out, the situation for replacement parts is not near as good. The guy I use for parts (D and L Transmissions) is a hands on rebuilder and he's not too high on the current state of Toploader reproduction parts and he recommended using what originals were still serviceable or another good original if it can be found. He said he has had a lot of issues with the new inputs as they seem to have more backlash than the originals - which means the gears aren't meshing as well. But, he said most of them will work. I bought a few minor things from David Kee and I don't know where he sources his parts but I'm sure since he builds transmissions that he is sourcing the best that's out there. Good luck.