View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 09:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I overlooked that link you posted - not real observant. The zerk fitting is facing the clutch of all things. I will probably pull it out and give it a shot before starting it back together again. Don't want it too full though to where it slings grease out.
Well, if you're going to pull it out... In that thread that we both reference, the single most important post is on the fourth page and it is by stallion112, who works in the TOB industry. He clearly explains the difference between "standard" and "self aligning" throw out bearings. The latter require just a bit of preload. My FM 614038 is clearly described as a "sealed and self aligning" TOB. I can not tell if your McLeod is self-aligning or not. I do not know why they even make "standard" TOBs anymore, but that choice, as opposed to "self aligning," is one of the filter choices on Summit Racing and other parts warehouses. Anyway, that's the Cliff Notes version of the difference.