View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
Since FM holds the patent, isn't it safe to say that others don't, and as such won't have the self-aligning version? :-)
Not at all. There are several patents out there on "self-aligning TOBs" so it's not like FM has a lock on it all. Many of the TOBs that fit Dan's and my cars (small spline toploader and Tremec TKO) are self-aligning... but not all. A quick Google of SSTL/TKO TOBs shows that, in addition to my Federal Mogul Part #614038, which is sealed and self-aligning, other manufactures that provide a self-aligning type TOB include Hayes, Centerforce, Ford Performance, Howe, et. al. -- but I don't think the McLeod 16031 is self-aligning, at least none of the parts warehouses list it as such. Interestingly enough, Centerforce discusses their self-aligning TOBs in their "Clutch Diagnostic Guide" and goes to great lengths to encourage the use of self-aligning TOBs. https://www.carid.com/images/centerf...osticguide.pdf Now, I'm sure there's a reason why someone would want the old, standard thrust type TOB over that of a self-aligning type, but I can't tell you what that reason might be.