View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 351W Engine Install, Driveline Alignment and Clearance Questions

We made some headway this weekend on the engine install, or at least learned of the upcoming challenges we will face and time to make modifications.

Let me preface, this is the first time doing an engine install so some of my questions may be elementary...

A few notable things I found and curious what others have to say:

1. My Ford 8.8 rear differential mounts tires symmetrically and centered to the frame side to side yet, the center point of the differential for the drive shaft is 7/16" to the passenger side. The laser is shooting down the center of the tunnel in the picture (below).

2. The engine mounts we purchased from Summit are Prothane Motion Control mounts 6-503 which have a different mount location slightly in both vertical and horizontal dimensions then the old worn out mounts that came with my 351W block. It lowers the engine another inch which I think will help for clearance overall.

3. The engine to frame mounting brackets provided with my kit were not the right hole location or front to back location to mount the engine so we mocked up some out of foam board that we plan to have made. (see pic below)

So questions I would love to hear feedback on:

1. I plan to mount the engine at a -2 degree and plan to do the same with the diff for proper pinion angle. Should i center the driveline down the tunnel or should I offset it slightly toward the passenger side to address driveline offset along with the diff?

2. Clearances: I realize everything is tight! I have to shorten the alternator belt so alternator clears, either mount oil filter remotely or flip down 90 degrees, my clutch fork hits the frame, and the starter part of the bellhousing on passenger side is roughly 3/4" from frame. So tight in all four corners. How much clearance should I safely leave between bellhousing and frame?

3. Ground clearances, If I mount the engine centered with a -2 angle where I think I want it, I have front crossbar frame by radiator ground clearance 9.5", engine oil sump ground clearance 9.5", bellhousing clearance 8", rear diff ground clearance 7". Does this draw any concern from others, or how do your cars compare? I realize the bellhousing between axles is my main concern.

4. Driveline info: I have a 351W, Lakewood bellhousing, and toploader 4 speed transmission. Based on the kit provided tranny mount plate and poly tranny iso mount, my transmission output shaft centerline is 15.25" from ground, while my differential centerline for shaft is 11.5". Is a 3.75" drop over 23" driveshaft length and a 7/16" shift right to left, is this similar to other setups?

5. I am hoping to go with a mechanical clutch, but may have to do some homework to setup a different clutch fork and pivot location for more clearance. I wonder about getting the fork that actually pulls forward instead of rearward where the forward direction has more clearance, and have the pivot ball on the far side (passenger) of the bellhousing.