Thread: 289 Plans Build
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Just go in or call and act like you know what you're doing, even if you don't. Always works for me... many distributors will only do business with business accounts so be prepared to give them a business name and tell you'll pay cash or credit, whatever their office will handle.

Tell them you're looking for 3" .120 wall ERW (welded) tubing, or if you want something a bit stronger, ask for DOM. (not sure it is really any stronger, but I've been told it is). Depending on what your plans call for, it may just be cheaper to just buy 2- 20' sticks than to have it cut up. If you can get it delivered that works fine. However, if you don't have a means to haul 20'material, you may have to have it cut to lengths you need to get it in your truck. You'll usually incur a small charge for the cuts, but not much.

Welding shops and job shops will also sell you steel, but there is usually a pretty large mark up in my experience.

If you can find a small steel yard in your area that handles small quantities, they are usually easier to deal with and are cheaper. Also, they will many times have "drops" (scrap cut offs) that they will sell for scrap prices- usually by the pound. You'll need lots of these pieces by time you get done so get friendly with a couple metal job shops. Most of them have an area where they put their drops and you can rummage through them for the pieces you need. Also, you will need some pieces bent or fabricated by time you're done and job shops usually have a fairly large metal break available for these chores.

I always thought the visits to the metal yards was half the fun of the build.

Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 06-15-2018 at 09:08 PM..