Thread: Sticky Steering
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     
Default Sticky Steering

I'm trying to isolate the steering column u-joints from the rest of the steering system to track down the last vestiges of some sticky steering. We found some binding at the top of the shock struts at the sperical ball(s), and that got rid of a majority of the stickiness. The binding appeared to be caused by changing the front camber from -1.5 to -2, to accomodate new wheels with slightly different offset. I have the BDR camber plates installed.

Since I can feel some small changes in force required to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock (with the car jacked up) which seem to be in the same spots (vs random), I think we are down to a binding u-joint or a manual steering rack issue. What is the easiest way to get the steering shaft with the u-joints off the car or disconnected from the steering rack? It looks like I may have to unbolt the rack to get the necessary slack/clearance to remove the top and bottom u-joints. Is there an easier way?

BDR #168, circa 2004, this problem just showed up a couple of months ago. It is not severe but it is annoying. Alignment has been checked and re-checked and the mechanical components have been checked and are structurally sound, but something is still a little sticky.

Thanks

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"