View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default Work another year and buy a Kirkham or Retire?

Well I continue to work, mainly due to Medical Insurance costs. More specifically the rapid increase the last 3 years and not knowing what it will do in the near future. I do not want to get into politics or why this has happened. So please do not take the thread that direction. The facts are for me and my wife, our insurance, if retired, was $535/mth in 2016, $965/mth in 2017, and $1650/mth in 2018, until we go on medicare. Those are facts and why doesn't matter. Working longer saves a ton of money on insurance. It also lets my 401K grow longer, SS and pension also go up.

So I have been looking at where I am financially. I am now at age 60 and plan to retire at 62. Analysis shows I can maintain my standard of living and not run out of money, if I live to be 100 yrs old and still leave it to my children.

Now I have long said if I won the lottery, I would buy a Kirkham. I always thought I could never afford one. Well all my life I saved and bought very little for myself. All the sudden, I am looking at where I am standing, financially, and maybe I can afford a Kirkham after all. If I worked one more year, past when I plan to retire, I could swing it.

I'm not sure I will do it, but I'm thinking about it. Should I purchase new and build what I want? Or a used one?

I can remember when a base model was a little over $50K and now they are $100K. Not many complete older Kirkhams for sale at $60K, so for those who say these cars are not an investment, although I agree, a Kirkham holds value pretty good, more like a house than a car.

Anyway thoughts on the pros and cons are welcome. Again I may or may not do it, but I'm going to think about it real hard.