View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

If you want to paint it you will want to take delivery with the filed finish. It is not “ready to paint” in that condition - you or your painter will have to sand, fill, sand, prime and paint like a steel bodied car. But you would not want to get it brushed or polished if you want to paint. David does not paint cars so if you go that route you want to take it from his place to the painter.

Unless you have A LOT of time I would not recommend brushing it or polishing it yourself. It is A LOT of work. You will have aluminum dust in every crevice of your house and orifice on your body. On just a good periodic touch-up polish on my car I go through 15 or so microfiber cloths and they are black when I am done. Polishing the big flat surfaces is not too bad but there are lots of little nooks and crannies to do. And you have to be careful you don’t dent anything. MAINTAINING the cars finish is no worse that polishing and waxing a regular car but getting it to the brushed or polished state in the first place is hundreds of hours of work as noted above.