View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

It’s a good question. I don’t know what the cost is because I have not had a car painted in a long time, but I would imagine that the cost of painting a Kirkham, starting with a filed finish, would be similar to painting a steel car starting with a car that has the original paint sanded down. I really wanted to get mine painted, but the challenge of having the car sent to a painter, finished, and then sent back to David for engine and transmission installed, just did not seem like it was worth the effort. However, if you are taking delivery of a roller, and going to do the engine and transmission install yourself, it would certainly be an option. I would get it painted before the engine and transmission are installed, so that you can do the inside of the engine bay etc.

There is one additional factor to consider, with an aluminum car that is painted. With the brush or polished finish, it is relatively easy to pound out small dents and then re-polish or re-brush the finish, so that it matches the original seamlessly. David has some videos on his websites that show how this is done. If you have paint on the car, the process is a lot more involved. And, speaking from experience, the aluminum does dent much more easily than steel and is certainly not as tough as fiberglass. If you drive the car, like I do, you will have many small stone dents in the front fascia area, and on the front edges of the rear fenders. If this “patina” does not bother you, then I think the paint would look great!