View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I made my decision to retire early based in part on a documentary that helped me see the retirement years a little differently. The numbers that follow are only representative and are likely different for each individual, but they are about right for a lot of people.

The retirement years can be looked at as having three phases. The first phase (60-70) is the time when you do the things you always wanted to do but didn't have the time for. For example, build that car, take a six month RV trip to Alaska, spend winter in the Bahamas on a sail boat, etc. These are things you do while you are still physically healthy enough to enjoy. ... The second phase (70-80) is spent doing things you can still enjoy closer to home. Health issues and physical capability will likely prevent you from doing many things you might have done earlier (e.g., water skiing, hiking the Apalachian Trail, etc.). ... The third phase (80-on) is the quieter, less vigorous transition to the end of life.

I am now 71 and I know I cannot do some of the things I did well ten years ago. So the above description has fit me pretty well. If it fits you too, then you need to consider not only the financial implications of when you retire, but the quality of life too. It would be a shame to spend your life preparing for a future you can't physically enjoy when you get there. So my advice would be to consider retiring sooner rather than later, and lower your sights to a more affordable Cobra replica. They are all fun.
This in my opinion is spot on, life is short. If you can take early retirement and enjoy. I know I am planning on retiring at 60 (eight more years) Our next journey in life begins at retirement and no one knows for how long....