View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake View Post
Thanks Dan for adding the Hugus & AC finished cars. We forget that not all Cobras were completed by SA.

You are welcome.

I am somewhat on the fence about radio mounting bracket screws as it has been decades since I have seen a factory installation in a car that has never had the heater out or been partially to completely dismantled and gone through anything between a thorough detailing and a restoration. Fasteners are one of the most commonly replaced parts on a Cobra. A typical commercial “restoration” might have a few dozen to several hundred fastener parts replaced. AC Cars was very consistent within a contract except for revisions somebody wanted. Shelby American was much more consistent in doing most installations than they are generally given credit for. Some better known “differences” are not differences created by ‘grab anything you can’ but differences in countries and shops the cars were completed in or cars finished in late 1964 or even into mid 1965 were built under different specifications than ones finished in early 1963.

Once I see that is obvious that a car’s heater core was leaking in the past and or that the heater had been out I become suspect of any detail that doesn’t agree with what I use to see decades ago while most of the cars were still relatively close to day one. I have seen mountings that have shown some evidence of being in and out with several different sizes and finishes of slotted drive screws, including one set of large pan head screws (so large they seemed out of place) that appear to have zinc plating under the black paint someone appears to have painted on with a small brush.

While on phillips drive screws and radios SA often added an additional screw in the boot compartment to help fix the lower radio antenna to the side of the boot compartment. I have collected pictures of two head sizes of same type screw for this purpose.

Last edited by Dan Case; 06-18-2018 at 08:21 AM..