View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Willwood calipers for Jag Front End

The square tube classic revival uses Jaguar xj6\xj12 series 2\3 front end like a lot of other kits out there. The brakes work pretty well with decent pads, but the calipers themselves are very heavy - about 8kg each. The question has been asked a few times about fitting lighter aftermarket calipers using the stock rotors, but I could never find a definitive guide to doing this on this or any other site.

There are different big brake kits that can be fitted, but I do want to put 15"s on my car eventually so that is a no go.

I chose the Wilwood Dynapro radial mount model 120-8545. The specs are as follows:

Piston Count 4
Piston Area (in²) 4.80
Piston Type Stainless
Rotor Dimensions
Rotor Width(in) 1
Rotor Diameter(in) 12.19 (max)
Pad Dimensions
Pad Area (in²) 6.36
Pad Volume (in³) 3
Duty Rating & Material
Material Aluminum
Weight(Lbs) 4

The piston size is very similar to the old jag 4 pots. The stock jag rotor is 24mm so the 1" rotor width is fine. Pad area is a little smaller but with decent pads should go OK. AS long as they stop as well at the old jag ones Ill be happy as the 6kg per wheel in unsprung weight saving is significant.

I have access to a 3d printer and printed up a model before ordering so I could mock up and ensure it would fit. When you compare the 2 calipers side by side you can so the Wilwood is Physically much smaller.

Here is the printed version of the bracket I machined up to mount. The radial mount is easier to adapt than the lug mount and my research indicated the radial mount caliper is a bit stiffer than the lug mount version anyway.

Here they are mounted:

Heaps of clearance on my 17" wheels. 15's will fit no worries. I know a few had to modify the jag calipers a bit for their 15's

Inside:

Bracket drawn up in autocad:

First drive the brake feel pretty much the same as the old jag ones. Just a test run around the block so far. Ill give them a good run in this weekend.

Disclaimer - I am not an engineer.

Last edited by Tenrocca; 06-20-2018 at 05:57 PM..