View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
... I made the mistake one night of hosing the car off to get the bug guts off after hitting a cloud of bugs. I didn't dry the car thinking it was night time, so it wouldn't spot. Not thinking I drove it to work the next day. When I got home I realized the sun had baked the water spots into the paint. I used every cleaner known to man. Then the clay and polish. Then polish. Eventually I got it all off ...
Something that I have found helpful when the car gets water spots is vinegar and then soapy water with a soft microfiber towel. The spotting is essentially a calcium residue left behind as the water evaporates. The vinegar has not damaged the paint although I do rinse the area off when I finish.

The vinegar dissolves the calcium spotting from the evaporating water and will leave the finish looking new again. I don't know if vinegar has an adverse effect on the aluminum Kirkham makes their bodies out of but I have used it, without damage, to remove water spotting on polished 6061 and also polished 356 aluminum castings.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.