View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
The battery for a competition 289 Cobra was the same size if not type as the production street 289 Cobras. I’ll have to go through my notes to make sure. I would think the battery size and post configuration from a 1964 Fairlane would be correct.
Early Cobras used Lucas® batteries. CSX2117 first chassis by invoice to drop by contract the AC Cars supplied battery, generator, tachometer drive for generator, and tachometer.

Posts orientation for street cars is opposite that of a Mustang and no one makes look-a-like 1963-64 Autolite® batteries with "reverse" posts Cobras would require that I know of. The only new car road test showing much of the battery show what appears to be an Autolite 24C type battery with white text on the short vent caps. I believe that it was a generic service battery not used in any other new car. I have talked with original car owners that have hunted for decades and not found a match.

I have been using Motorcraft® BXT-24 models in our Cobras for a long time. They are hard to install or remove because they are physically larger than the original battery.

Last edited by Dan Case; 07-25-2018 at 06:28 PM..