View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 05:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
Patrick,
I've never heard of this capacitor being recommended. Looks like it cleans the dc voltage and eliminates noise. I don't have a radio, so noise isn't an issue. Will this help eliminate mag pick-up failures (I've had two), blown coil (literally), and MSD box failure (bit the dust after 15-yrs)?
Remember that a capacitor will help suppress DC surges and make your "feeding voltage" more even and stable. Plus, a capacitor will filter out AC. If I put a volt meter and an oscilloscope on your car's electrical system, and I saw DC voltage swings of, say, 12.2vdc to 15.5vdc, and the scope shows AC current polluting the lines as well, then I would say "yeah, probably." The presence of AC is really one of those "gee, I would have never even thought of that" type conditions that can cause all sorts of goofy, hard to diagnose problems and failures with sensitive electronics. Here's a nice little video that outlines one.