View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Posted above are two good alternatives that help the balance bar bleeding problem.

1. Using the one-person bleed screws would be an excellent idea. I was not able to use them on my front brakes because I have Wilwood brakes with miniture bleed screws (two per calpier). But I could open a bleed screw on the back and work the screws manually on the front.

2. Using a pressure bleed system eliminates the whole issue of bleeding the two master cylinders together. Pressure bleeding works on one cylinder at a time and is independent of the balance bar. The pressure system pushes fluid through the system and does not involve stroking the pedal.

I am still fighting my clutch problem and am embarrased about my WRONG advice in my original post about bleeding a hydraulic clutch release. After considerable research on the net, I have learned that bleeding a clutch release is TOTALLY different from bleeding brakes.
1. One does not pump the pedal.
2. Apparently the only way to remove all the air is to reverse bleed the system. On a Porche site it was recommended to use a new (read clean of oil etc) pump oil can to pump fluid from the bleed screw up to the mc resevoir. Of course a pressure bleed device does the same thing, but costs a bit more.
3. I also found a couple of experts who state it is impossible to vaccum bleed a clutch.

I pressure bled my clutch by applying 10 lbs pressure to the resevoir, had fantastic pedal until the car was driven a bit and then it went soft again. Now I am going to try the Porche oil can trick to pressure bleed from the bottom up.