View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default Flywheel and Clutch

Guys,

I have a well built out 351W that is very strong and dynos at 445HP and 465 ft/lbs torque.

I'm in the middle of upgrading the existing OEM style clutch that has about 26K on it.

My questions is:

I've read quite a bit about steel, forged steel and aluminum flywheels(contain a steel wear ring), are any of you guys running an aluminum flywheel?

Most of what I've read and talked with clutch manufacturers about leads me to believe that aluminum is the way to go. Benefits such as lighter, faster engine responsiveness due to decreased rotational inertia with a lighter flywheel seem to outweigh the launch inertia and initial torque developed by a steel flywheel. All info leads me to believe that only slight driving changes need to be made using a lighter aluminum flywheel (slightly higher launch rpms) but the responsiveness benefits and easier shift engagements seem to outweigh the launch rpm issues.

Clutch manufacturers I've spoken with tell me that Aluminum flywheel are the best choice for our lightweight, high horsepower and torque cars for best drivability and occasional performance use. They also mention that there are many misconceptions that steel is better due to torque build-up for launch however most of the high end performance cars sold by OEMs today utilize aluminum flywheels for increased engine responsiveness and drivability. Also that steel was the common choice for years due to low cost for vehicle production.

I'm leaning toward a Centerforce 2 centrifugal weighted performance clutch and pressure plate mated to a forged aluminum flywheel with replaceable steel mating ring from Centerforce.

Just wanted to gain any insight from any of you, what clutch flywheel combo are you using, for what engine, do you like it or not, and any other issues.

I also am still using the standard mechanical clutch cable and throwout bearing on a Ford Motorsports Racing T-5 trans.

Your insights would be appreciated.

Last edited by rbgray1; 08-03-2018 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: Additional Point: Due to mechanical clutch cable and throwout bearing, reasonable pedal pressure is important to me