View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I've ran both steel and aluminum flywheels in a Cobra. The aluminum flywheel will have you slipping the clutch a bit more to get going, especially if you take off on hills.

Absolutely NO on the Centerforce. Of all the emails I get from guys wanting to replace their clutches, the majority of them have issues with Centerforce.

The pressure plates that they use are standard parts store brands...i.e. Sachs, Luk, etc. They add their counterweight system to them to gain clamping force, but the issue is that the weights aren't predictable. Sometimes they engage, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it's at high rpm, sometimes Cobra owners find themselves fighting a clutch that's trying to engage at idle. Lots of guys end up removing the weights and then you end back up with a parts store pressure plate with less clamping force.

Do yourself a big favor and use either a RAM or McLeod. I've been selling both for 10 years and I could count the number of issues on 3-4 fingers.

What you're able to fit will depend on the bellhousing you're using. If it's a factory bell or a Quicktime, you're going to end up with a 157T flywheel with a 10.5" diaphragm pressure plate.

In your situation, I would use a RAM steel flywheel and a RAM 88794HDX clutch kit.