View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Anybody know whether leather for Cobra seats and dash panel came from the same cow (or same batch of leather) on the AC 'assembly line'? I'm talking about for individual cars
And the door pockets....I'm assuming these were leather and not vinyl/naugahyde? Same grade as used on the seats?

Cheers,
Glen
Based on published information when the cars were new, a single hide was used for a pair of seats. It was implied that meant a pair of seats in one chassis but did not state that as the case. I have not come across any chassis number marks by AC on seat chassis so there would not have been a way to easily keep a pair of seats together if ever separated from ‘their’ chassis.

Seat leather was not skived but all the rest was and there are several different ‘grain’ affects natural and man made. The only vinyl I have found in a Cobra (leaf spring chassis) is the red vinyl binding on red carpet, hood (a.k.a. top), side windows, most of the window pouch behind the seats, and most tool pouches.

There are quite a few pieces of leather in an original Cobra. The leather covering the instrument panel and glove box door are the hardest 'pieces' to get a texture anything remotely close to what AC Cars used. The original leather was usually more deeply textured as compared to anything else in the cars.

scuttle hoop cover in glove box
scuttle hoop supports at transmission
both design versions of cockpit door latch pull straps
cockpit door stay covers
top bow storage strap
rear inner wheel houses in cockpit
black carpet and side window pouch bindings
instrument panel
exterior of glove box door
glove box door stay

Last edited by Dan Case; 08-06-2018 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: add details and picture