View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I've never been accused of offering an opinion, even if it isn't likely what you want to hear.

My advice: Simply finish the one you have and be done with it.

As a business venture capitalist the first question I would have to ask is "If this were a viable business, why wouldn't have someone tried it already?" Second, and I'll not be going out too far on a thin limb here, I would expect serious buyers would want a true replica, not a rebodied Corvette.

Without a volume manufacturing facility and a solid business plan and a helper or two, you might finish another one on your own and find a buyer, but probably sell it for much less than you have in it (see "why hasn't this been done before" above). By the time you're done with #2 you'll be done with that hobby and #3, if there is one, will stretch out well past any buyer's tolerance.

Otherwise, and I don't for an instant think it would be deliberate, but this effort will become another business like the guy in Canada. Don't let it happen to you.

Would you ask your friends and family to put money up front? Would you think that the Shark Tank guys would invest?

Just my 2c.

And a PS: I went through the same process with home construction. I'd been building houses for years, two complete on my own. There was an empty lot in the subdivision and bought it and went and got all the contractors licenses and stuff. Near the end some people started getting interested. I treated them as customers. While I had built the house the way I would want it four us, they wanted changes. Some were good suggestions and enhanced the overall project and fit myself as a fallback consumer, but they were never serious buyers. One however, said he was serious and when I asked him to sign a contract to buy and to put a deposit on the changes, since they involved somewhat of a remodel of already finished work, he wouldn't do it and I never saw him again. Fortunately, I learned that "changes to work already done require money up front" from my dad (who was a builder). I decided that I would from that point on build for me (and live in it for two years and then sell it sans capital gains). Lots easier for a small builder. Then we moved to NV and retired.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 08-28-2018 at 02:49 PM..