View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

John,

I worked for Dow Chemical for 38 years, until the company sold the business I worked for, a couple years ago. So I am now a bit free to speak my mind and name the company.

Herbert Dow founded the company in 1897. When I hired in, in 1978, some of his family still sat on the board of directors, and the family held enough stock to have impact on the board. That has long since changed and is another story, but let me just state: it was a totally different company then. I felt privileged to work for such a company.

There was once a bronze plaque that was a quote of Herbert Henry Dow, that I saw at many plants within the company, perhaps all of them had one. I will have to paraphrase, as time has not been kind to my memory.

"I can easily find a 100 men to tell me an idea will not work. I am looking for the few who can tell me how it can be made to work."

I have noticed through life experience that Herbert Dow must have been an optimist, as he should have said he could easily find a billion men to tell him it won't work.

I think it may be a good thing that so many have been negative minded throughout history, otherwise everything would have certainly already been done long ago, and it would be a boring world with no purpose today.

The negative minded are also quite useful, as they give you tips on what to be careful of and to look out for, but there advise should never be taken.

Many people, who love and even worship the Shelby Cobra today, would have advised Mr Shelby, AC Bristal, and Ford, all not to do it.

People will tell you that you cannot be successful despite the fact that other people are already successfully doing that very thing.

But make no mistake, unless someone tells you how to be successful, you must learn on your own how to be successful, or you will fail for certain.

The surest way to learn how to do anything is to try it, fail and learn from the failure. Repeat until you succeed. The easiest way, is to learn from the failures of others.

I really cannot advise you. All I can do is offer my thoughts. You are in a unique position. You do not have to succeed to survive. Perhaps your survival depends on trying and not success. From what you have said, this may be the thing that brings you happiness and gives you purpose. Only you can make the decision, and you are in the best position to understand your situation. There are always consequences, so give it all do thought.