View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 05:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     
Default LED electrical puzzle

I'm aware this subject has been beat nearly to death.

I have a new wrinkle on it that is still a puzzle for me. Here's a quote from my message on the firstcoastcobraclub.com web site:

Quote:
I have encountered an interesting electrical puzzle. I have arrived at a compromise, but am still curious about why it happens and whether there's anything practical I can do to eliminate it.

The Cobra has six lights for brakes and parking. Two parking lights in the front, and four separate taillights.

All six bulbs are 1157 dual contact/dual filament bulbs.

I'd like to change all the bulbs to LEDs.

So far, if I put LEDs in the four taillights, everything works as it used to: all the stop/turn/parking lights work normally. It works fine with the original flasher.

If I put LEDs in the parking lights, everything works except the turn signals. The turn signals just never flash.

I have read that the old-style flasher just makes them flash rapidly, but that doesn't happen. There is no flashing at all.

So I got a flasher supposedly made just for LEDs and tried it - same result - no flashing at all.

I have reverted to the incandescent (two) front and LED (four) rear bulbs and the original flasher, and all works fine.

Question: is there a way to get the parking lamps converted without too much fuss, or should I just leave well enough alone?

Tom