View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CSX3170 repair and autox results

I have just returned from being on the road for two weeks, Scott and I left for Provo, Utah on Sunday the 25th of August. We got to the new Kirkham facility on Monday morning to repair the damaged LH rear differential mount. We found such extensive damage to the mount and cross member that David Kirkham recommended replacing the entire cage structure and cross member rather than try and patch the old metal. This was an enormous job that could only have been done at Kirkham. I won't go into all the details but all rear suspension, floors, trunk, differential, back panel, dry sump tank and battery as well as the rear upper trunk panel had to be removed. Scott and I worked (4) 14 hour days and on Friday 5 more hours along with all the Kirkham people getting the car fixed. It is now better than new thanks to Kirkham Motorsports and their expertise. We drove all night from Kirkham to the CAM invitational at Lincoln Nebraska. Scott finished second on Saturday after getting only 2 hours of sleep and the car only had a quick garage floor alignment. He only lost by .195 to a 2017 Corvette, so not too bad. Sunday it rained and we elected not to run because David Kirkham had us clean the bottom of the car to a spotless condition prior to final repair and we did not want to clean it again. We elected to take it to a local alignment shop and finish the alignment process. We found the rear toe was off a considerable amount which would probably have put Scott in first on Saturday. It rained again on Tuesday so CSX3170 stayed in the trailer and we withdrew from the National competition. Wednesday we left for Colorado and the Goodguys event. We got there Thursday and set up for Friday morning competition.
The people in Colorado were great and we got tons of runs. The course was the smallest and tightest we have ever been on as you can see from the video. The car ran perfectly all day Friday and Saturday and won both the pro class and the shootout. Scott was his usual precise self running a string of 32 second times against some very good competition. Grey65 was there and doing very well with his new set up along with (2) tube frame racing Corvettes with Warren Johnson LS engines. Scott was the only car in the 32 second range all others were 33 and up. All and all the new set up is better than ever and we have a couple more up grades before Scottsdale. Grey65 is on the video right after 3170.
The new Kirkham facility will be world class when complete and their capabilities are already second to none. Thanks again to David, Dave and all the gang at Kirkham!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LaMSpl..._SskaA&index=2

Last edited by Cobra #3170; 09-10-2018 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: more information