View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
The Watson's Street Works round 7 inch LED head light, looks like a combination of a HELLA CLEAR VISION body and their LED bulb and wiring. Did it fit into the Cobra head light bucket with out cutting? (may want to go back) How did you like the light dispersion? Did the beam go down an to the center in low beam use as a DOT light would have? (out of oncoming drivers vision) Where would I buy them? My neighbor is converting his 65 Ford Galaxy to LED and they are bright, but when off, they are black.
I'll reiterate my previous comments: NO combination of lens, reflector and LED light source is legal for street use unless the COMBINATION was DOT compliant. Taking a HELLA CLEAR VISION body designed for a halogen bulb and using a LED 'bulb' is not DOT compliant and not legal for street use.

From https://watsons-streetworks.com/product/led-headlights/ :

"These new 7” round Hella Vision Plus lenses use an advanced reflector design and conform to SAE/DOT standards for street and highway use." That may be entirely true - but only as long as they're used with the original bulbs for which they were designed and manufactured. As you can see at My Hella Lights :: Vision Plus 7" Round Conversion Headlamp those assemblies are designed for halogen bulbs. Substituting a H4 LED for an H4 halogen renders that DOT compliance null and void.

From https://blog.motoringassist.com/news...g-car-legally/ :
  1. "As halogen lamp optics are not designed to work with an LED bulb, some parts of the output pattern will be brighter and other parts will be dimmer. The other issue involves light scatter, which will dazzle oncoming motorists, which the driver may confuse as offering superior vision. Regardless of these technical issues, however, it still remains an offence to use LED conversion bulbs within an exterior lamp on the road."
  2. "I wish to incorporate LED lighting to my car’s exterior. How can I do this legally? The only way is to use a complete lamp unit that has been tested and wears a Type Approval Mark from an approved maker"

Check out this thread:
LED headlight bulbs illegal?

Another relevant thread:
DOT approved headlights?

Last edited by cycleguy55; 09-10-2018 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Replaced 'DOT approval' with 'DOT compliant', added additional content.