View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rnbft View Post
I like the dispersion as it really helps to illuminate the shoulders and right of way - we have too many auto/deer encounters down here. The bulbs fit the bucket fine. I have had no issues with oncoming drivers or leading cars that I have followed. Buy them direct from Watson's Street Works - the owner is a cobra owner. As far as cycleguy's concern re DOT compliance - ask the seller for clarification. I do recall that these lights won a SEMA award in 2016 as best innovation (?) of the year - or some such.

Blair
Here's what I wrote on Watson's Street Works Facebook page:

"It's my understanding [DOT] compliance can only be maintained when the bulb is the same type used for purposes of compliance.

"Please explain how a lens / reflector assembly designed for an H4 halogen bulb can be DOT compliant when used with an H4 LED - a light source which cannot possibly duplicate the light positioning of a halogen filament."

Watson's StreetWorks response:

"Brian, You are probably correct that once you take out the halogen bulb and replace it with an LED the combination my not be officially DOT approved. If you are worried about a DOT inspector calling you on this upgrade then these are not the lights for you. On the other hand if you want to see better while driving at night and not blind on coming drivers this package will do just that for you."

Net of this: Vendor affirms their belief they have a better headlamp system, while at the same time confirming it's not DOT compliant.

Bottom line: You may never run into a situation where law enforcement or vehicle inspection flags such headlamps as non-compliant - but you should be aware it is possible. Caveat emptor.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 09-12-2018 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: Stripped out extra blank lines