Old 09-14-2018, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 3170 weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Assume you were in CAMs class. How much does your car weigh? I believe 2500 is minimum w/o driver.
The car weighs 2370 pounds because of the dry sump and fuel injection add on's. I added 180 pounds with gaffer shot bags before we left Utah. We weighed in at tech at 2630 pounds before running on Saturday. We left the weight in the car for GoodGuys because it is actually faster with weight on 200 TW tires. If we were on Hoosiers I would remove the weight. The tread rubber is hard enough that we loose mechanical grip (deforming for irregularities in pavement) due to reduced weight faster than we increase cornering force from the reduced weight. There are structural problems with adding much more weight than 150 pounds though. The Corvette boys have been crying ever since they allowed Cobras to run at 2250 so SCCA increased our minimum to 2500. They have let modified 2018 Corvettes in now with stability control, ABS ect, ect, and they are still crying. The guys that cry the most are all back markers but they make lots of noise on social media. Hopefully the crying will slow down now that we got our a$$es kicked at nationals. We have run several back to back tests with and with out the weight it is always faster with the weight. I actually added more weight this year and it did some damage so I only add 150 lbs now. I should clarify we had about 12 gallons of fuel and extra shot bags during the invitational. I removed two shot bags so were were closer to 2560 or so after that with about 5 gallons of fuel.

Last edited by Cobra #3170; 09-14-2018 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: clarification on weight