View Single Post
Old 10-06-2018, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I recently heard from another guy who bought a used ERA Cobra from out of state, brought it to California, and went through the SB100 registration process.

For him, the CHP didn't assign a new VIN number - they just went with the ERA number already on the car. I wish they had done that with mine, but they didn't. Just another example of how it changes from place to place and person to person.

His BAR inspection also went smoothly.

But when he went back to the DMV after his BAR inspection with all of his completed paperwork, the guy at the DMV counter asked, "Where is your brake and light inspection?"

Because he had read my posts here, he anticipated that might come up, so he explained that because he had a used car that was previously registered in another state and was not a new build, he didn't need that form - and, in fact, DMV hadn't given it to him as part of the paperwork to complete and return. I am told the desk worker called over the supervisor, and calls were made to Sacramento - and the supervisor told the Cobra owner he absolutely needed the brake and light inspection to get his car registered.

He called me with the update, and I thought he was joking, because of what had happened to me with DMV that I posted here - the desk guy had said I needed the B&L form and was about to send me away, but the supervisor I got at DMV said I didn't need it and got my car registered without it.

I said it might be worth a shot just to go to another DMV and see if they approve the paperwork as is. He said he thought he'd just get the inspection done, to be sure there'd be no more problems.

He emailed the next week:

"Just thought you would love this. So, after interviewing several brake & lamp stations in my area to insure they will pass me without a back-up light, I go in and tell them, 'I'm only here for the certificate, be as brief as you like, the less you do the better.' 5 minutes and $142 later I was out of of there with the paperwork. After stopping at home briefly, I thought 'Hey, it's only 10 a.m., I'm going to the DMV and get this DONE.' So, without an appointment, I headed to Santa Ana DMV. Two hours later (not bad) I get to window 26, hand all my paperwork to the clerk (who said he had prior SB100 experience), and upon review he picks up the small Brake and Lamp certificates and says.......(you ready)...............he says 'What did you need these for?' Kill me now."

Last edited by Cobalt289; 10-06-2018 at 08:04 AM..