View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 05:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve meltzer View Post
i actually thought of that, but dismissed it as a "Zebra". probably on my list. 30-40% chance of rain tomorrow, so may have to drive the p/u to work, if not i'll drive the car and check it out. thanx. s
If you've never used one before, it's kind of a "screw-spike within a screw-plug." There's also an easy way to find TDC without having to turn your engine backwards. Just pull the #1 plug, put a long stick in the hole so that you can observe the rise and fall of the piston, and turn the crankshaft via the crank bolt until the stick comes all the way up, and then starts to go back down. Put the TDC finder in the hole and screw the spike down gently until it comes in contact with the piston head. Mark the timing pointer's location on the balancer. Then rotate your crank again one full turn until it comes back up again and is stopped by the TDC finder. Mark the timing pointer's location on the balancer. TDC should be at the mid-point between your two marks. If it's not, then either you screwed up this process or the balancer has spun. Uhhhhh, just to be on the safe side, take your ignition key and hide it in your sock drawer with a sign on it that says "Did you remember to remove the TDC finder?" Trying to fire up your car with the TDC finder still screwed in your spark plug hole is a great way to start a really bad day.