View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

We all forget these people in the CA DMV are just there for employment, It is rare (as it is in just about any job) that the person really considers it a "career". I grew up in CA, but moved out of the state in 1989. My kids still live there and I go back to visit.

That said, I think back on my experience with trying to register a car many years ago in the Bay Area, It was a matter of removing my ex-wife's name from the title. I had all the forms completed after prior visits to see what was needed (remember- this was prior to the internet). The ex had signed off and I was in line. I reach the agent only to see that it was one of my little sister's friends back from High school. She actually recognized me first. After exchanging "How have you been, haven't see you for over 10 years" comments", she reviews the papers and tells me that I cannot do this without my ex being there. I point out that I have the needed form that has been signed by her and notarized. She says I still need her there. I go into a tirade at her letting her know that she has become no brighter now then when she was 1 yrs old. Of course she is now mad as well. I demand she get a supervisor over to review the paperwork. She finally gets one to review it. After a bit of time to get one (I am sure she is complaining about my treatment of her) the supervisor comes over and reviews the paperwork. It turns out that I have everything that is needed. The supervisor then try's to dress me down about my attitude.

I go off again. I first explain that I have known the lady since she was a very young girl and have even "babysat" her and she was not the brightest star on the tree then and not much had changed. Plus I reminded them that they were both my employees since I was the tax payer and they the public servants. He gave up at that point arguing with me- realized I would not be changed.

And just to prove my point that she was inept, she mistyped the street address which sometime later caused me more problems.

And Colorado, Illinois & Wisconsin have been the same experience. I could tell even more stories. But the net result is always the same, people working for a living, not careers. They learn the minimum to get by each day for 98% of the tasks at hand and watch the clock for the end of their shift to come without getting fired.

For those rare few that do "above and beyond" this in these jobs, I need not apologize. You know you do better and you are even more frustrated with your fellow workmates then we are. I hope you are the person that helps each of us the next time we ask for your assistance. My Dad always said, if you plan on not doing your absolutely best at your job, you will hate your job and perform poorly. Find something else to do instead of being an idiot standing in the way of someone who cares having that job!

My point is, do not expect the DMV of any state to be competent. its just not probable. Just have more info and records available than they are asking for, expect it to take several trips and never hesitate to ask for ever higher supervisors. Even if it means going to the Governor's office!

It all proves my old saying, "If you do not believe the dead come back to life, be here at quitting time"!