View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA kit on order
Not Ranked     
Default My number is coming up at ERA, options / order advice?

Some time ago I sent a check to ERA for $5,000 and they sent me the build manual for a 289 FIA car and Peter told me I'll likely have ERA 2159. ERA appear to be building car 2157 right now so it looks like I'll be up before too long. I've always been of the opinion that advice never hurts, so I figured I'd come and ask the veterans if there are any "must have" options that should for sure be ordered with the car.

I'm going to throw out there that I am a mechanic, I don't make a lot of money so this is an extremely budget oriented build. I plan on doing nearly everything myself. I know that having ERA bond the body would save me a lot of pain, but I don't think I'll have the extra $2k to have them do it for me so I'll probably even be doing that myself. Honestly, I'm really hoping at this point that I can move enough funds around to just be able to buy the kit and don't have to skip out to 2160 or 2161.

So far what I have on the order is:
-bare bones 289 FIA kit
-upgrade to street seats (because it'll be a lot more expensive to do later, I'll swap in a Kirkey vintage seat on track days)
-heater / defroster (because my wife said that I have to, and seeing she's letting me build the thing I better listen)
Other than that there's trunk dimples, an FIA dash and I think they have something in there about installing the roll bar

The master plan involves a lot of ordering things like the steering column, oil cooler, 6 pin hubs, rear suspension subframe and all of the small stuff as I have the money to buy it.

I guess what I'm mainly looking for is, keeping budget in mind, is there anything that should absolutely be ordered with the car, or any options that I'd really be a fool to skip out on.

Thanks for reading. I've been looking forward to building a Cobra since I was 14 years old so I'm extremely excited about it.