Thread: efi systems
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

This is just FYI stuff, not a recommendation, only personal experience.

I have been running a Mass-Flo EFI for over 9 years now. Might even be some of their first equipment out of there. It has been flawless on 418 cu in, 532 RWH with a very big cam and only needed a slight tune. Mine uses the old A9L Ford computer and I did have to replace that once along the way. Got it at Auto Zone for something like $75 as I remember. Plugged it back in and a few hundred miles later after it had time to think a bit, I was back to normal. I have heard all the criticisms of restricted air flow through the carb like 4 barrel with the GM MF sensor, but the thing is rated at 1000 CFM (which I doubt, but no data) and makes all the HP my street car setup can handle in a super reliable, easy to drive way.

The real plus to EFI in my opinion is the reliability of starting up every time winter or summer, idling as good as possible with a big cam, and the smoothest running imaginable for engines like most of us run. I have had to do absolutely nothing to this system and except for a capacitor failure on the computer board, never had even a burp.

My system is old and there is a much newer and more complicated model from them now, so I have no experience with that but it does interest me. Although I really have no reason to even consider changing anything and would probably be an idiot for doing so the way I use the car.

Again, not a recommendation, but the "self-learning" system has worked for me or worked as good as an OEM Ford system can and with a little "chip" help, tuned up right on the numbers.

Good luck to everyone working through this, reading the posts, looks like it can be really frustrating in some cases.

Last edited by wrogers55; 10-10-2018 at 07:06 AM..