View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 06:09 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     

OK, the saga continues...drove the car yesterday....ran great, no hiccups, no stalling and no scaring the feces out of me. I didn't have time to recheck the timing, tho' I suspect it's fine. will recheck this weekend, and, if unchanged, will punt on the piston stop, at least for the moment.

Here's something weird that's been going on for several months and could be related, but not sure....when the car has been sitting overnight (tho' the ambient temp in my garage is in the 90s) the throttle arm is very hard to move initially. Meaning, when you step on the gas pedal, your foot meets immediate resistance, then, with sig. more pressure, it gives way, and the pedal and entire throttle mechanism move well the rest of the time. Disconnecting the linkage from the carb's throttle, or main shaft, arm proves it's in the carb, NOT the linkage to the pedal.

So, when cold, something's binding in/on the carb that "unsticks" once warm. Even driving the car to work, parking and heading home after an 8 hour day does NOT yield this weirdness. Other than the same gremlins deployed by me ex, any thoughts? Related to the off idle stumble? Probably hard to tell without the carb in your hands. Next, i was going to put the carb on the bench and check it out, and or, loosen the hold down nuts and see about that. thanx. s