View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Strictly,

Thanks.

My alternator has 3 wires; the BAT, the FLD and one black one that went to the unlabelled post on the alternator...that must be the ground that you are referring to. There is one post labelled GROUND but that one wasn't hooked up...

I spoke with the Powermaster tech that was patient enough to answer some basic electrical questions. Based on this conversations, I thought I might summarize the main 2 points to see if you all agree and to help the electrically challenged like myself:
1. The increase from a 61 amp to 100 amp alternator does not necessarily mean I will have to increase the gauge of the wires that I current have in my 2044 ERA FIA. #8 or #10 wire from the BAT post to BATTERY should be sufficient for my amp draw. I added an electrical fuel pump, electronic distributor and Holley Sniper EFI.
2. I wasn't aware of this: the regulator doesn't really carry much amp load at all - electronics aren't driven through the regulator; seems like that wire is #12 or #14 so I was worried that my added EFI electronics would create an issue.