View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Never heard of that "1968 Ford also offered a "Tunnel Port" HD 302 for Trans Am racing"

Very interesting !
The Tunnel Port 302s didn't work out well for various reasons. A few never give up types eventually got them to work and last at the same time.

There were all kinds of variations of small V8s 255 to 351 c.i.d. that Ford made for some racing application or another. That does not count the Gurney-Westlake 302s that were very strong, lots of power, very versatile, and long lasting.

The HP289s were the most widely used basic platform in the perhaps the widest variety of configurations; in some forms only a team like Shelby American could get. Example: You just won’t come across four bolt main cylinder blocks and forged steel crankshafts but they were in existence without many people knowing about them. There was even a brief flirt with Single Over Head Cam HP289s.

Not every idea or every development engine was successful enough or worth the effort to continue.