Thread: Starting issue
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
David,

If you have a 6AL, there is not 12v at the ignition coil, there is some 480v with the engine running, since you have a CD ignition, not inductive ignition.

The coil primary terminals are more dangerous in a CD ignition.

After reading your opening statement, I wasn't surprised to see you have a MSD ignition fault.

Now, onto some testing.

Can you disconnect your mag trigger harness at the distributor, remove the coil wire from the distributor, set up the coil wire with 1/2 inch gap to ground.

Get yourself a paperclip, form a horseshoe.

Then ignition key on, bridge the mag harness that goes towards the 6AL module in rapid on/offs. Does spark jump across your 1/2 gap?

Gary
Hi Gary,
Just a little over my head here.What is a CD ignition? What opening statement are you referring to? Why are you not surprised?
As far as your testing goes, it unfortunately has to wait. I am leaving for 1 week vacation Sat morning and running around all this week. No time for the Cobra until I return end of next week. I will gather research info and hit it hard when I return end of next week. I will have to get a diagram I can identify the parts you are referring to.
Thanks
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear