Thread: Starting issue
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have had faulty "locking pigtail components" before from ERA, so I wouldn't want to bet a lot that somehow it wasn't causing part of the problem. If it was me, I would just cut the two wires that are coming off the magnetic pickup, strip them back, and measure the resistance. If the resistance is back up to normal, I would leave it in there. If the resistance is bad, then I would replace it with the new one, and hard wire/solder/shrinkwrap the connection and not worry about it again until you pull the engine. For electrical cleaner, I use whatever spray cleaner I happen to have, 409, Windex, Mr. Clean, etc., then I rub the ends with a little 400 grit sandpaper, then a light wipe of dielectric grease. I use dielectric grease on anything that conducts electricity and have so for almost 50 years. Electrical connections, plug wires, distributor terminals, the rotor tip, everything.
That is an option, but I would rather not be cutting the wires. If I do, it tests good, and I leave the pick up in there, I could just rejoin the wires with one of those twist caps right?

Pat, what about that spark at the coil wire question I had from before? With the key on, everything hooked back up, using a remote starter, should spark be coming out of the coil wire that is still hooked up to the spark tester?

Totally with you on Dielectric grease, I use it on everything too!
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear