Thread: Starting issue
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 09:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
That is an option, but I would rather not be cutting the wires. If I do, it tests good, and I leave the pick up in there, I could just rejoin the wires with one of those twist caps right?

Pat, what about that spark at the coil wire question I had from before? With the key on, everything hooked back up, using a remote starter, should spark be coming out of the coil wire that is still hooked up to the spark tester?

Totally with you on Dielectric grease, I use it on everything too!
Yes, you can just use twist caps to put the wires back together. That's no big deal. If all is working properly, and the cap and rotor are installed, when you disconnect your coil wire, and then place the end a half inch away from the block, or use a spark tester, and then crank the engine you should see multiple sparks flying out as you crank. If the magnetic pickup is bad, or if you have sheared your pin, you will not see those sparks when you crank but you will still pass the "paper clip" test that bypasses the magnetic pickup. The paper clip test basically tests everything except the magnetic pickup.