Thread: Starting issue
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

I decided to go back out and screw with it some more. I cut the wires and tested it in the same way as the new one. Much better, but not a steady reading like the new one, but not a continuous slow climb as before. The end numbers kept changing it read between 5.9-6.1 ohm. I then took the rotor off and rapped it like you suggested, and pig-tailed the wires back together. Those wires are just long enough. After cutting , stripping and rejoining with a cap, was really to tight. I tried to crank it and still no spark. At that point I decided I was going to change out the pick-up , after all, that is why I bought it 4 years ago. I put PB blaster on the rotor screws and the Magnetic pick-up hold down nuts. One nut is pretty easy to get at but it appears the threads are stripped and it wont come off, just keeps turning around and around. The other nut is very close to the magnet body so a socket will not clear past it.Using a wrench will also be and issue because of the turkey pan. Why would they the frame so close to the nut, there is a ton of room in there.
They give you 2 hex head long bolts and 2 hold down nuts. The directions are real vague, just says use supplied hardware. Where do these bolts go? I am guessing up from the bottom of the distributor somehow and then the nuts go on top. Maybe these bolts are for something else? If I knew these are replacement bolts, I will just drill the nuts off and ruin the orig bolts in the process. I am just afraid these new bolts might require the distributor to be removed which I really don't want to do. Now what fearless guru...LOL
Directions
https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns.../121-84661.pdf
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear

Last edited by davids2toys; 10-25-2018 at 10:09 PM..