Thread: Starting issue
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2018, 06:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
I put PB blaster on the rotor screws and the Magnetic pick-up hold down nuts. One nut is pretty easy to get at but it appears the threads are stripped and it wont come off, just keeps turning around and around. The other nut is very close to the magnet body so a socket will not clear past it.Using a wrench will also be and issue because of the turkey pan. Why would they the frame so close to the nut, there is a ton of room in there.]
No drilling, please. No distributor removal either. I have an extra magnetic pickup kit, so I measured it for you. The button head screw comes up from under the distributor. A 9/64" hex fits it. The locknut is 11/32". Do not pull the distributor out of the engine except as a last gasp solution. But remember, the "orientation" of your magnetic pickup is based on the whim of your engine builder. Also remember that you can turn your distributor one way or another to gain a little room to get your Allen wrench under there. Once you have the screw locked down from turning, just use whatever you can get over the nuts to take them off. Here, I went down to my car and put a mechanic's mirror angled to show you where they are.